Special sessions at MMM will focus on one state-of-the-art research direction within the multimedia field. Special session papers, which can be invited or submitted, will supplement the regular research papers and be included in the proceedings of MMM 2020. While a special session may simply present a group of related papers in the regular format, it is preferred to organize the session in a panel format, where the authors have reduced time to present their work, followed by an extensive Q&A session with the audience. This has been shown to work very well in recent editions of MMM.
Accepted Special Session Proposals
Four special have been accepted for the MMM 2021:
- Multimedia Datasets for Repeatable Experimentation (MDRE)
- Multimedia Analytics: Perspectives, Tools and Applications (MAPTA)
- Multimodal Analysis and Retrieval of satellite images
- MULTIMED: Multimedia and Multimodal Analytics in the Medical Domain and Pervasive Environments
For more information, please visit Special Session Papers page.
Special Session Proposal Requirements
Normally, each special session will include four to five papers. In addition to invited papers, if any, the conference will also welcome open submissions to special sessions. In order to ensure the high quality of the papers, all papers submitted to special sessions, including invited papers, will be peer-reviewed through a strict review process. If a special session has many high-quality submissions, some of the submissions might be moved to regular sessions. Formatting of special session papers must follow the same guidelines as regular research papers.
The review process will be coordinated with the main technical program review process of the MMM, as coordinated by the PC chairs. The organizers of each special session must provide 1-2 reviews per submitted / invited paper, while the regular program committee will provide another two reviews. Final decision on acceptance / rejection will be made jointly by the special session chairs and the MMM 2020 PC chairs.
Please include the following information in your proposal:
- Title of the proposed special session.
- Name, affiliation, brief biography and contact information for each of the organizers.
- A session abstract including significance justification and a brief overview of the state-of-the-art of the proposed special session topic.
- List of invited papers, if applicable, including for each paper: tentative title, author list, and preferably a short abstract.
- Proposal for arrangement of the reviews from session organizers (e.g. list of reviewers for the special session).
- Description of the session format (e.g. panel, technical talks, poster session).
- Plans for advertising the special session (e.g. targeted distribution lists, projects, communities)
- If applicable, plans for exploitation of the results of the workshop (e.g. summary papers)
Proposals will be evaluated based on the timeliness of the topic and relevance to MMM, anticipated quality of papers in the proposed session and the other information from the list above provided by the organisers.
Please submit proposals containing the information from above by email to the chairs (see below) using subject “MMM2021 Special Session Proposal” by
April 24, 2020 April 30, 2020. Receipt of a proposal will be confirmed by the chairs within 72 hours of reception. Proposals will be evaluated based on the relevance to MMM, qualification(s) of the organizer(s) and the quality and community interest of the topic/proposed potential papers.
|Notification of Acceptance|
Special Session Chairs
Marta Mrak, BBC Research & Development,
Werner Bailer, JOANNEUM RESEARCH,